Saturday, December 8, 2012

Notice and Note

So I've had this blog set up for over a year, with great intentions to write.  And like many of my former students, I felt like I had nothing worthy to say.  Poor example. Convicted. No excuse.  But in my Twitter ventures, I find gentle reminders by folks such as Steven Anderson and his Web 2.0 Classroom; I'm going to follow the advice--write when you can.  Here I go.

Yesterday, my colleagues and I spent a wonderful day with Kyleen Beers and Bob Probst learning about reading signposts that they describe in their lastest book Notice and Note.  The comment that struck me the most throughout this wonderful day of learning was this: Rigor without relevance is just plain hard.  So true.  Rigor without relevance creates disengagement--painful for both student and teacher alike.



How do we make works by Shakespeare, Henry David Thoreau, and Toni Morrison relevant to 21st Century digital learners? What I learned from Kyleen and Bob is that we as teachers don't create relevance by providing texts that match students' interests necessarily, rather we provide the conditions for reading complex texts so that students create their own relevance for reading.  Simple concept, but not necessarily simple to facilitate.  Fortunately, Beers and Probst have, through years of research, provided tools in the 6 signposts and accompanying anchor questions that not only aid students in creating their own relevance for reading, but also to keep them engaged in close reading.
I encourage teachers who hear their students say things like, "Thoreau is too hard." "Why do we have to read Shakespeare?" "This is boring." to take up Notice and Note and learn how to change students' minds. 

1 comment:

  1. You're right, Lynne. The session with Beers and Probst was extremely powerful but not as much as actually seeing a strategy come to life when you modeled it for a group of teachers. When I watched the video I made of your instruction, it was evident that the students developed a deeper appreciation of the text using the contrasts and contradictions approach. As I was filming, I overheard one student say, "This play doesn't suck as much as I thought it would." There were other comments made throughout the lesson that indicated to me how widespread the benefits are to making texts accessible to students. The bottom line is they got it - and they got into it due in large part part to your presentation and delivery. The kids were engaged, observant, and analytical. I think other teachers could benefit from viewing this strategy in action.

    ReplyDelete